Wednesday, September 30, 2009

M4 Sherman Tank



This is an M4 Sherman Tank used in World War Two. My Grandpa was a driver for one of these in the Pacific Theatre of WWII. The tank had a crew of five which consisted of a commander, gunner, loader, driver, and co-driver. My Grandpa was about 6'2" tall and I am very surprised that he was able to fit in one of these tanks. There were more than 50,000 of these made for WWII. The Sherman Tank had a 75mm gun and many times a flame-thrower as well. This tank showed up as number 10 on a Military Channel List, but I still find it interesting because of the amount produced. Most of all I find interest in this tank because my grandpa drove one when he served in World War Two.

4 comments:

Dru Babe said...

Every time I come over to your house I sit at the piano and read that report Grant made last year about him. It makes me sad I didn't get to meet him.

wyo aunt said...

It's amazing to think of him at age 20 or so fighting a war in a tank. What a lot of responsibility a country puts on its men at a young age. Grandpa was amazing.abled

Pi-day Dave said...

Your grandpa was an amazing man. Everything your Aunt Alleen told me about him was amazing.

aunt marbles said...

I would have so freaked out being in a tank like that! Makes me teary-eyed thinking about what my Dad did.