Sunday, September 20, 2009

Where in History Would You Liked to Have Been?

I have just been thinking about places in history I would have liked to been and people I would like to meet. Other than the most important one of being around when Christ walked the earth, I would choose a few others.

1. The Composing and Signing of The Declaration of Independence- To sit in the room when the First Continental Congress decided to declare Independence from Great Britain, to meet John Adams, John Hancock, Benjamin Franklin and watch as Thomas Jefferson penned the lines, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.", would have been absolutely humbling and reverent.

2. The Defeat of Cornwallis at Yorktown-It would have been astounding to meet George Washington and see the British Army surrounded by those fighting for liberty and the joy on the faces of colonists who had finally gained Independence after losing wives, sons, brothers, property, and best friends.

3. To Be With Alf Sorenson in World War Two- I would be greatly appreciative to meet my Grandpa Alf when he was fighting for his country and freedom. To see the horrible things he as well as many others had to go through to protect my freedom and rights. Last of all to be there when he heard of the news that Japan had surrendered and to see the joy of ending a conflict with evil.

These are three places in history I would have enjoyed seeing. Where would you have been?

5 comments:

Alf's boy said...

I'll have to think that over.

wyo aunt said...

Absolutely with my dad you nailed it on that! I would love to have known him as a young idealistic man with life ahead and the courage to enlist in a war to save his countries freedom.
Then I think with Lucy Ward and James Barnett when they met in Martin's cove. The cumulative sacrifices they had already made to worship as they chose were so enormous I can’t even imagine it. Then they settled down and lived what they fought for.
Then Lincoln's second inaugural address when he said “Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations”. I take the last paragraph as a challenge that we are still fighting “to be firm in the right as God gives us to see the right” and I pray to be able to see the right.
How could I ever let those hard won victories be for nothing?

aunt marbles said...

I agree with the comments and I would have enjoyed being there. I would like to add that I would like to have been with Helen Keller, deaf-blind-mute. I can imagine the challenges she must have faced, I have such respect for her for overcoming such obstacles she faced in her life. I admire her grace and courage and the determination to make something of her life. However, I must as I would have enjoyed being part of history I think my life is much better in the present. Deaf people were usually confined to mental institutions for they were misunderstood and I think this is a horrible way of life and a waste of potential. Alexandar Graham Bell was trying to invent something for his deaf wife to help her be able to communicate better. Was the phone a blessing or a curse for his wife? Ironically I believe it was a curse. You decide.

Pi-day Dave said...

still thinking, It'll have to wait until the weekend to be posted(it's midterms this week, and it was parent/teacher conferences for Logan.)

Pi-day Dave said...

1. The building of the Nauvoo Temple. To be able to work side by side with Joseph Smith and the rest of the Saints would be awesome. 2. The pligrims first landing at Plymoth Rock. To see the look on their faces when they realize they were here and that they could worship how they wanted. 3. With my dad at the Battle of the Bulge. To see him when he was young and to be able to see what events shaped his life to make him the man he turned out to be.