Sunday, January 10, 2010

Historic Perspective

Our family went over to Grandma's today and I found out something really interesting. I was asking grandma if I could look at Grandpa's military journal he wrote in a few times during World War Two and we were having a hard time finding it. I did however notice a box that said "WWII Letters". I asked Grandma what it was and she said ooh just some letters your Grandpa wrote to his mother. Ooh that's all they were. Well my Dad and I got them down and he started reading a few; they turned out to be really interesting. Just looking at the addresses on the envelopes showed some history. The dates of the letters were interesting as well. As I was thinking about how cool these letters are my dad helped me come up with the idea that living during history, as my grandma did, just made those old letters while I looked at them as records of my Grandpa I hardly knew at a challenging time in history and his life. So next time I write in my journal I am going to remember that what I write may seem pretty simple to me, but in sixty-five years or so someone will think of my writings as interesting history.

3 comments:

wyo aunt said...

Exactly! These times are at least as interesting as the WWII years. In fact, the ancient Chinese curse goes something like "may you live in interesting times." And you certainly are living in interesting times.

aunt marbles said...

I lived during the times that are now in your history book! You are too! I would love to read those letters.

Pi-day Dave said...

Your Aunt Alleen also found those letters and used some of them in some of her scrap book pages. We also found a newspaper from Idaho Falls on the day Japan surrendered and the war ended. It was very cool. We photo copied the paper and I use it in my class. They were cool letters.