Thursday, March 18, 2010

Grandpa Alf's Departure from the U.S.

     Here are a few paragraphs from something I am writting about Grandpa Alf's Life I thought people might be interested in.
     Alf left the states from Seattle, Washington on March 28th 1944 and he arrived in Honolulu, Hawaii on April 5th 1944. He wrote the following in his military journal about his trip across and the ships he traveled on throughout the rest of the war:

Stinks. I never got sick but I was sure surprised [.] more of the ships. M. S. Slotderdyke. From K.S. to Guam- U.S.S. Warhawk – from Guam to Leyte – U.S.S. Elmore. From Leyte to Okinawa – L.S.T. From Okinawa to Luzon L.S.T. From Luzon to San Pedro. M.S.Welteroeden

3 comments:

Alf's boy said...

I'm amaized at what ordinary people do in extrodinaty times. A small town boy from Idaho could travel halfway around the world to fight people he has barely heard of for people he only knows as fellow Americans.

wyo aunt said...

I'll have to see what I can find out about those ships. I Wish there were more pictures.

Big Sis said...

I am his daughter and I did not know these things.