Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Question with Boldness

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion.  Question with boldness even the existence of a God;  because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson to nephew Peter Carr
This is one of the coolest quotes I have ever read.  "Question with boldness"--in this instance Jefferson applied it to knowing if there is a God.  I have thought about it many times as I go to school and read the news.  I hope that, unlike many people, I will always question everything and not just take other people's word for it.  Whenever a historic statement is made I do my best to go to the source and find out for myself what was said.  With religion I try to do the same thing and find it in the scriptures. (It makes a lot of people made when so many questions are asked, but it is essential for knowing things for yourself.) It would be great if more people in this world would "Question with boldness".  

3 comments:

Alf's boy said...

Who says baby blessings don't mean anything? Keep questioning!

wyo aunt said...

Did your Dad say you should be curious and bold in your blessing?

Pi-day Dave said...

We wanted to make it to your Eagle Court of Honor, but there wasn't enough time for us to get there and back safely. Congrats and know that we are all so proud of you.