Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The American Dream

I just finished a six page paper for english this morning and thought I would share it with everyone. . .Just kidding I am only going to share the last paragraph because six pages would make an extremely long post.  Here is the conclusion and I can email you the rest if you would like to read it.

As has been indicated the American dream is not always to own a home, get rich, have a beautiful spouse, or obtain material goods. In American literature we see that those who strive for these things can obtain them like Rudy Ruettiger or they can end with the shot of a gun like in Of Mice and Men. Material things are always great to strive for as an American dream and that is what most American’s picture it as. However, that is not the most important part of the American dream. The most important part of the American dream is the idea that as Americans we have the right to “the pursuit of Happiness” as is written in the Constitution of the United States. The concept of the American dream is the concept of America. America allows for freedoms no other country can give and in the United States of America it is possible to obtain any dream a person wants to obtain. The American dream is that you can go after whatever you wish to and nothing, but yourself is in the way. The American Dream is not reached by everyone as with the characters of Jay Gatsby, George Milton, and Lennie Small but the American dream is achievable.

4 comments:

Alf's boy said...

I'm living my American dream.

wyo aunt said...

I'm living it too, but I'm worried that my grands might not get to.

I'd love to see the whole paper!

Auntie L said...

I hope you, and your future children can live it also. I, myself, hate being told what to do, eat, wear etc. I hope i can continue to live the American dream, and that it does not turn into a nightmare!

holl said...

I think you are a very good writer! :-D