Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day


My grandpa was a veteran of World War Two. He volunteered for the army after returning prematurely from technical school. He figured that he wouldn't be able to get home sick in the army, so he decided to join on March 3, 1942. For some reason or another he choose to join the tank core. That decision may have saved his life. He was placed with the 77th division of the United States Army Reserve. His division was based out of New York City and was a very famous division in World War One for it's "Lost Battalion". He left the states and was sent to Hawaii were he trained and waited for deployment into battle. My grandpa fought in the Philippines, Guam, and Okinawa. He had many experiences were his life was spared and many that were too horrible to forget. He received two Purple Hearts, one for being wounded while on a troopship when a suicide Japanese submarine hit the ship and the other was during the battles on Okinawa.

Once the war was over he came back to the states married my grandma and had five kids one of which is my dad. He worked as a rancher for the remainder of his life and was always involved in politics.
To me my grandpa is a hero. Not because he earned metals, but because of the fact that he sacrificed time, pleasures, and risked his life in the service of his country. I am grateful for all of the veterans and those now serving to protect our country. I hope that we as citizens will make the United States worth fighting for just as it was when my grandpa served his country.

4 comments:

wyo aunt said...

I love him so much! Thanks for the post, it made me tear up. He is my hero.

2 Lazy 2 Grandma said...

That is an awesome mini-history about your grandpa! I am thankful for what he did in the service and for what my husband Gene did in the Korean War. I am thankful they returned home safely.

Aunt Marbles said...

Yes, my Dad was a hero in my eyes also. I can remember the pride he had when he talked about his war experiences. My heart swells every time I hear about the Veterans and I always cry when "Taps" is played. I was very fortunate to be one of his daughters. Isn't my Dad a very handsome man?

Auntie L said...

He was the best Dad I could have ever had. All of the love of country I have came for him.He is my example of a good, honest man.