Thursday, December 2, 2010

Social Security and Immigration-The Lincoln Plan

       Here are some suggestions of mine (with some input from my dad especially with Immigration) on how to solve a couple of America's biggest problems:

Social Security

       This program created by one of our most progressive presidents, FDR, is likely to be the biggest wormhole for our economy.  What I think the U. S. should do to solve Social Security is this.  First, go to a plan, similar to the one proposed by George W. Bush, were Social Security starts being payed into your own personal government account.  This would last for about ten years and part of the social security would still go to the elderly so as not to completely cut them off immediately.  Second, all money taken out of Social Security would go to your own government account for you.  This would go on for another ten years. Third, less and less money would be taken out of income for Social Security and people would be encouraged (not required or forced) to put money into their own private retirement fund. This process would last for about five years.  Last of all, the whole Social Security program will be taken away and people will have to save for their own retirement.  In the end people might not save for retirement, but that is their choice, to work the rest of their lives.  Although it would take years, my idea would get rid of Social Security in a gradual way, rather than completely dropping it altogether.

Immigration

      My plan for immigration would be as follows.  First of all, make the process of obtaining citizenship easier.  Make the cost of citizenship minimal and give no excuse for illegals to say it's too hard to come legally.  On the other hand, tighten border security to maximum capacity. Allow law enforcement to use force to stop illegals from crossing the border.  It sounds almost inhuman, but after a few examples, illegals will be more willing to come legally.  Last of all, increase the penalty for hiring an illegal immigrant to a detrimental height, such as 20,000 per illegal immigrant.  Without a job what would illegals want to come to the U. S. illegally for?


      Well these are just some of my opinions on how to deal with immigration and Social Security.  And as always things sound so good on paper, but a lot of times never really work well.

3 comments:

Auntie L said...

I am about to go on Social Security. In a few months. I will still have to work part time in order to make ends meet. This is because I was willing to work at what ever I could get. Even though I graduated from BYU with a double major, I have done menial jobs all my life.it was all I could get. Most of my life it has been a struggle to put food on the table. I have very little of the luxuries in life, and rarely go anywhere for entertainment or anything else. I have never taken welfare. I agree that there is a better way to handle social security, and your way sounds pretty good. I must say though that, cutting off Social Security anytime in the next 30 years would be cruel. People of your generation are definitely going to plan for their retirement. We were never taught in school the importance of saving for your retirement, or how to do it. I had some training later in life, but I couldn't do much about it until I got on at BYU. It is the first place I worked where there was an adequate amount to live on. It just barely works, but at least I can save a little and I have an IRA account and health insurance. It is barely enough though.

wyo aunt said...

There are always unintended consequences, but gradually getting rid of programs eventually is a good thing I think. They say what brought down the Soviet Union was middle party operatives beginning to realize the system would fail and finding ways to get theirs and abandoning the system. If that happens here we're in for a bumpy ride. That could be an unintended consequence, but ti would be worth a try in a small way first.

As for illegal immigration I'll be the first to approve a systematic route to citizenship for those who go the process first, but before all else the borders have to be secured.
Just my 2 cents.

sister marbles said...

I am on Social Security Disability. I, agree with some of the things being said. However, I think Social Security would be put to better use if the person desiring to be on Social Security should be able to prove that they are entitled to the benefits and not given to those who are too lazy to take care of themselves. I see too many on Social Security that should be getting off their lazy asses and get to work and at the same time it will cut down on the obesity problem that America faces.